Behind the Wheel Driver Training
What you need to know BEFORE signing up for BEHIND THE WHEEL LESSONS:
- A valid Instruction Permit is required as well as the needed accommodations for any restrictions (glasses, contacts..)
- Wearing a Mask is required
- All Behind the Wheel Training will begin and end at our office at 2891 Richmond Road, Suite 101, Lexington, KY 40509 (the brown office building behind the Sunshine Grow Shop).
- Lessons are limited to 1 session per week in order to allow the student time to practice..
- Students will receive their training in one of our vehicles, which are set up specifically for student driving.
- Due to the need for clear communication, students must be able to speak and understand English.
- For everyone's safety, students may not wear flip-flops, sandals, or sunglasses while behind the wheel.
- The first session will consist of an evaluation in a near-by parking lot to assess if the student can control the vehicle. We will stay in the parking lot and work on turning, lane maintenance and braking until it is deemed that they can safely move to the roadway.
- From session to session, we will deem if it is safe to advance the student to the next level in the curriculum. Most students only require the 6 Hours of lessons; however, some students require repeating all or part of a lesson to safely advance to the next skill set. In this case, more sessions may be needed to complete the curriculum.
- Signing up for a session is a commitment. We require 48 Hours Notice to cancel/reschedule your lesson. Any late cancellations/no-shows will be subject to a $55 fee.
How long does it take to learn how to drive?
Every student is different, but the overall success will depend on a combination of Behind the Wheel Instruction and practice outside of instruction. The state of Kentucky requires a minimum of 60 hours of drive time for students under the age of 18, prior to testing for their intermediate license. Our 6 Hour curriculum is designed to teach skills which need to be implemented over the course of those 60 hours of practice.
LEARN MORE CLOSE
The 1 hour driving lesson is great for a basic refresher or for improving a couple of specific skills. The beginning of the lesson will include an evaluation in a near-by parking lot to assess if the student is safe to move to the roadway.
LEARN MORE CLOSE
This program includes 6 of our 1-Hour Behind the Wheel Driving Lessons. Our program's curriculum is designed to provide the student a solid foundation with both the knowledge and skills to be a safe driver. We cover controlling the vehicle, intersection/right of way, lanes changes, merging, and the technical skills required for the Road Test.
LEARN MORE CLOSE
This includes the Behind the Wheel 6 Hour Program as well as the online Graduated License class. The Graduated License class is the only 100% online course approved by the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet. Drivers whose permits were issued under the age of 18 must complete this course in order to get their full unrestricted license. It can be completed in just four hours and meets all of the requirements to get the Graduated License in Kentucky. (The GDL class is non-refundable.) Need to learn more about the KY Graduated License Program?Click here